Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Game of Thrones - Audiobook - Discs 1-6 (of 28)

Sweet merciful crap I want to speed up time so I can review this story in its entirety!

I have been listening to it during my commute, and I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed a fantasy epic more thoroughly. Granted, I am only about 8 hours into the 34 hour audiobook, so I suppose it is too early to tell for certain, but here's what I know so far.

If I faithfully continue this series on my commute, I should be finished in about 3 weeks. I might have to expand my listening hours beyond the time stuck in my car in traffic.

The version I have is narrated by Roy Dotrice, who I hear is something called a Shakespearean Actor. What that means for you the listener is that there is emotion in every line of dialog, enough to make even the cold of heart feel tears well up at times.


I started this book because of the new HBO miniseries based on it. I simply love being able to say "the book was better" and I wanted to say that with the knowledge and experience to back it up. I must admit that I am tempted to watch the first episode or two, so I can catch up to where I am in the story, but I worry that I will be weak and watch beyond my current chapter.

So far, this story and its characters seem better than some of my favorites from fantasy, including:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen (Series)
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (Trilogy)
The Farseer and Tawny Man (Trilogies)

I realize that this story could still go anywhere, and that my current high hopes could be dashed upon the harsh rocks of disappointment.

If you read my blog, you should eagerly await the full review sometime in May
If you do not read my blog, you should read my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment